Sunday, November 17, 2013

I heard Jesus drank wine, so is it wrong for the Robertsons to sell it?

The Robertsons from Duck Dynasty announced a new business endeavor last week: Duck Commander Wines. Consequently, the Christian organization Family Ministries has canceled a Duck Dynasty fundraising event which would have raised money to update facilities for the children served by Family Ministries.

Some see the Duck Commander wine partnership as a PR crisis. Others see the wine endeavor as a great business opportunity. I can understand both points of view.

Family Ministries canceled the event because they felt endorsing a family/business involved in the alcohol industry would have sent mixed messages to their youth audience. The young people served by Family Ministries typically go through a drug and alcohol awareness program, so it makes sense that the Christian organization would want to be clear in their position on alcohol consumption. The cancellation obviously drew attention to the Robertsons' new business venture. Because the famous family is well-known for their devotion to the Christian faith, their alignment with the alcohol industry and the cancellation of their Christian-oriented event has offended some of their fans and stirred a minor PR mishap.

On the other hand, I wonder if Family Ministries drew more attention to the issue than necessary. Yes, the Duck Dynasty family is about to enter the alcohol industry, but I highly doubt Willie Robertson, Duck Commander CEO, would have spoken on his recent business move or his support for the alcohol industry at the event, knowing Family Ministries' values.

I think the number of fans the Robertsons have alienated and offended with this new business venture are outweighed by the success that Duck Commander Wines will bring the company. The wine endeavor will expand the multi-million dollar Duck Commander brand that is already known and loved for its hunting gear, books, apparel and other novelties. As already-successful business people, I'm positive the Robertson family strongly considered their options, key messages and target audiences before making the decision to dive into the alcohol industry.

In my opinion, this venture by the Duck Dynasty gang is more of a good business move than a PR crisis. I don't think Duck Commander Wines will tarnish the Duck Dynasty brand, which has always been solidly based on family and Christian values; after all, I heard Jesus drank wine?



Food for thought: Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. Ecclesiastes 9:7

2 comments:

  1. I think of all the directions Duck Commander could have gone in, this is definitely and interesting one! I can see where Family Ministries is coming from, especially with families who have gone through drug and alcohol counseling programs.
    I think they will be supported in their venture, which is funny because I pictured them more as a beer and whiskey kind of family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this funny because over the summer I see a lot of festivals going on that churches put together to raise funds. The two biggest selling things? Alcohol and gambling, is that wrong? I am not the one to judge but I think Family Ministries is over reacting just a little bit. I understand where they are coming from but at the same time, it isn't like the Duck Commander is pushing Family Ministries into drinking their product.

    ReplyDelete