Saturday, November 16, 2013

Joy comes in the morning!

What a whirlwind this week has been.

Monday morning I posted a blog about living in the moment. Monday night my family was slapped in the face with the reality of this concept. A moment is really all it takes for your world to change completely.

On Monday, November 11 at 8:22 p.m., my uncle Zach VanAtta unexpectedly went to be with Jesus. He was 41 years old and left behind a lot of family and friends who loved him very much, especially my aunt Amy and my cousins Emma and Mason.

I've spent the entire week with family - crying, reminiscing, laughing and hugging (lots of hugging!) - and I really cherish the recent moments I've had with them. These unfortunate circumstances have reminded me how important it is to live in the moment, because life can turn upside-down in the blink of an eye. Such a sudden and tragic loss has also reminded me to tell my family how much I love them, and to tell them often.

I'm sad that Zach is gone. He was a great guy; his big heart, witty sense of humor and reliable work ethic touched many lives for the better. He will be deeply missed by everyone who had the chance to meet him and spend time with him. But as a good friend, leader and fellow believer told me earlier this week, my family will spend a lot more time in eternity with Zach than we will spend missing him here on earth. This is something I already knew deep down in my heart, but it was so comforting to hear from someone else, especially when I was solely focused on the heartbreak of the situation.

These words have been in my heart all week: We will spend more time in eternity with Zach than we will spend missing him here on earth. Thank you Jesus!

To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8). I find great comfort in knowing that Zach is in Paradise with Jesus, and I know the rest of my family does too. It may not make missing him any easier, but because of Jesus, we don't have to say goodbye forever. In the blink of an eye, we will see Zach again in a place where there is no heartbreak or sadness.

I know God has great things in store for my family (Jeremiah 29:11) and he will continue to bless us and provide for us in every way imaginable. Losing Zach sucks (I'm not going to sugarcoat it), but we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him (Romans 8:28).

To my aunt Amy and cousins Emma and Mason: you guys are so abundantly blessed because of what Jesus has done for us and you are so loved by everyone around you. I pray you never forget how loved and blessed you are!


You will be missed uncle Zach, but we will see you again someday!


Food for thought: Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. Psalm 30:5

3 comments:

  1. Katee, I am sorry to hear that this happened to you! However, I am refreshed by your optimism and finding the silver lining in this tragic moment! You are truly an inspiration for those who are suffering. I know that I have been worried about my boyfriend's mother for quite some time as she has been facing some scary health issues, but now I know if something were to happen I can come back here and be reminded of the joy that comes with the sorrow. Great post and I will be praying for the strength of your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney, thanks for the comment. I'm glad to hear you found the post encouraging! All the glory to God! It's not always easy to remain joyful in the midst of something so heartbreaking; I need to constantly be reminded of these scriptures and these truths, but they are what get my family through the sadness!
      The prayers for my family are appreciated, more than you know. I will be praying for you and healing for your boyfriend's mother, too!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Courtney! I absolutely loved your optimistic view on a not so great situation. I am so sorry he was taken so suddenly from your family. Fortunately, any goodbyes I had to say have been expected. That doesn't make the goodbyes any easier, but I can't imagine what you're going through with such a sudden ending. But, every ending is a new beginning! There's no need to worry for long. He's definitely in good hands! Until then, you'll be in my prayers as well!

    ReplyDelete