Sunday, September 15, 2013

Perfectionism: Curse or blessing?

I am a perfectionist when it comes to school work. For those of you who know me well, this is not news.

This past week a fellow classmate told me that they admired me academically. Sure, I do well in school, but some days I feel like perfectionism can be a curse rather than a blessing.  Let me tell you why:
  • I lose a lot of valuable time. I spend hours editing, proofreading and tweaking assignments to make sure they are perfect (even when I probably don’t need to).
  •  I stress about assignments way more than I should, sometimes assignments that haven’t even been assigned yet.
  • I’m rarely fully satisfied with my work because I tend to think there’s always something that I could have done better.
  • Sometimes I am afraid to take risks. I fear the unknown because I’m not sure if I will be able to perfectly accomplish the unknown.
  • Perfectionism makes me extremely critical of myself and others.

I have a passion for learning, doing well in school, and being the best that I can be. Being a perfectionist may not be all bad because it keeps me constantly striving to achieve higher standards. But I have to wonder, does there come a time when perfect papers and aced exams are no longer worth the additional time, effort and stress?

I think I need to find a good balance between perfectionism and giving myself a break. I want to feel like it is OK to turn in a paper with a few mistakes if it means I get to spend more time relaxing and enjoying myself. As I continue in my junior year of college, I need to remind myself to focus on the big picture. It’s much easier said than done, but with a little work, I hope I’m able to embrace imperfection and give myself breaks when I deserve them.

I know that improvement comes from making mistakes, and failure often leads to growth and greater understanding. How can I grow and improve if I don’t give myself a little room for imperfection? 

1 comment:

  1. Katee,
    I think you make a good point. I am not personally a perfectionist, at least not to that extreme, but I feel that you need to enjoy your college experience. My suggestion to you is to reminisce on your time spent here at Northern. Has it been all you've hoped for? Do you regret missing out on things because that paper or assignment had to be just right? If the answer is no to the first and yes to the second, then perhaps you should take some time to decide if a change is needed. College is a once in a lifetime experience and if you don't enjoy the years spend there then you aren't getting the full experience.
    Sincerely,
    Your fun-loving neighbor in Social Media Principles

    ReplyDelete