Sunday, October 6, 2013

Hard work pays off

In the spring semester of my sophomore year I began working on a research paper titled "Attribute Agenda Setting and the Framing of Political Messages: A Comparison of the News Media and Presidential Responses to School Shootings" for a PR Research class. At this point, I had never conducted my own research and the task of writing a research paper longer than 15 pages sounded daunting. PR Research was a stressful course and resulted in many late nights and random texts, calls and emails to Dr. Aggie with questions (and complaints) about my research. After receiving my final grade in the class and attending the Ohio Northern Student Research Colloquium, Dr. Aggie and I decided it would be worth it to submit my paper to the Ohio Communication Association Conference.

I was accepted to present shortly after I submitted my paper this summer and I attended the OCA's 77th Annual Conference this past weekend at Marietta College. I presented my research in a panel session alongside a graduate student from the University of Akron and a communication professor from the University of Toledo. I started the session quite intimidated and nervous, but it turned out to be an extremely rewarding experience. For 15 minutes, I was the expert in the room. I was grateful to be able to share my research results and hard work with students, professionals and researchers from all over the state of Ohio. I was even more grateful when OCA President Tim Pollock announced my name as the winner of the top undergraduate research paper.

Not only am I thankful for this opportunity from the Ohio Communication Association, but I am also thankful for the help and encouragement of both Dr. Aggie and Dr. Fleck throughout the entire process. I am proud of my research and this accomplishment and I can't wait to see where my research takes me in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Your hard work and dedication to all aspects of your life (academics, family, faith...the list goes on) never cease to amaze me, Katee. Although I didn't have the opportunity to see you present your research, I can't think of a more deserving recipient of the top undergraduate research paper. Dr. Aggie is right. You sure did set the bar high for the rest of us!

    Do you think research is something you would like to pursue in the future, or are you more interested in a more hands-on approach to public relations? I'm confident that you will excel at whatever you choose. You really are a PR rockstar!

    ReplyDelete