Wednesday, October 2, 2013

She's gone... but they're hiring!

Marina Shifrin, a graduate of the University of Missouri School of Journalism, left her job as a viral video marketer at the Taiwanese Animation Company this past week. She did so via YouTube and the video went viral.


This video paints a negative picture of the Taiwanese Animation Company, a company best known for comedic news videos. In the video subtitles, Marina notes she was working at 4:30 a.m. She says for two years she sacrificed relationships, time and energy for a boss who cared very much about video views and very little about video content. At the end of the video Marina turns out the lights and leaves for good. “I QUIT! I’m gone,” she says.

Marina Shifrin’s video, entitled “An Interpretive Dance for My Boss Set to Kanye West’s Gone,” currently has over 9 million views on YouTube. The video could have generated a lot of negative PR for the Taiwanese Animation Company, but they weren't going to let Shifrin have the last word…



The company’s response is clearly poking fun at Marina’s video, but instead of angrily firing back at her complaints and accusations, the Taiwanese Animation Company wishes her the best and playfully announces, “We’re hiring!”


The Taiwanese Animation Company turned a potentially threatening viral video from a disgruntled ex-employee into positive PR for their own company. Posting a humorous yet tasteful frame-by-frame rebuttal to Marina’s initial video completely flipped the script and restored the Taiwanese Animation Company’s positive image. 

5 comments:

  1. Can I just say I love both this blog and the story of the videos! SO entertaining and funny to watch. Marina's video was very creative, but she had to think the company wouldn't just lay down and take the bad PR! I mean, they know how to make videos themselves and they (obviously) know a thing or two about comedy. Regardless, 9 million views...that's great! It just shows the power of social media again. Who's was Marina and The Taiwanese Animation Company before this video? No one! Now they're both a global YouTube hit! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazy what people are posting now-a-days on YouTube. I admit I laughed so much at these videos, but was kind of blown away about how disrespectful her video was. Today, people are lucky to even have jobs and she does something like this. I wonder if she will even be hired by another company after they see this? I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amy. I found it funny but extremely disrespectful to the company. I did enjoy how the company reacted instead of sinking just as low, they made her look kind of stupid for posting the video in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with all of the above comments! I think without even meaning to, Marina gave her now past company more publicity across the globe. In all honesty, if I were hiring for a company, I would not want to hire Marina. With the information at hand, it seems she blew everything out of proportion in regards to this company. The company handled it very well, but now I think she's labeled herself as a liability to a company. There is no way to tell if she's going to turn around and do the same thing again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like Alexa said, everyone has had great comments above. I feel like Marina's way of quitting was slightly immature, especially after I had read somethings in response to her original video. I love the way the Taiwanese Animation Company responded though. The humor was spot on and I would even say the dance moves were better. Snaps to them for turning a negative to a positive and getting some good attention for themselves!

    ReplyDelete