Friday, October 11, 2013

ONU faculty: Caring, supportive and friendly people

The past couple weeks I've realized just how blessed I am to attend a school where my professors, bosses and other ONU faculty truly want the best for me. Going to school at ONU, I am surrounded by friendly people all day long who know me by name. I don't know many college students at other universities who can say the same.

Last week the bosses of my work-study job on campus took me out to lunch at El Campo for my birthday. They even surprised me and invited a few of my co-workers who were excited to help me celebrate my 21st birthday. I am very thankful for the opportunity to work on campus, but I am even more thankful for the people I've met because of this job. David and Kirstin (my bosses) and the rest of my co-workers went out of their way to treat me to lunch and it made my birthday so much more special. 

A few days ago I went to visit one of my professors with a few questions about courses for next semester. I wound up sitting in her office for nearly an hour chatting with her and two of my other professors. My visit quickly went from a talk about academics to a friendly conversation about family, friends and life after college. My professors shared some pretty entertaining stories and provided a few good laughs. I respect my professors both inside and outside the classroom, and I know they genuinely care about my success after graduation.

Tonight while I was working at the McIntosh information desk I had two very special visitors; both knew me by name. (I like to think this has everything to do with my memorable friendly face and nothing to do with the nameplate I have to keep on display while I work.) The first visitor was a custodial worker who really likes to talk. I can usually count on him stopping by at some point during my Thursday night shift and telling me a story about how he and his wife met or about his recent vacation to Montana. The second visitor was the President of the University. He was on his way to the ballroom to address students about the Ohio Northern Promise (a recently announced initiative to keep an ONU education affordable). I told him I was sorry I would be missing the meeting so he took a few minutes to talk to me about what he thinks the Ohio Northern Promise will do for students at our university. Both of these men could have smiled, waved and gone on with their jobs, but instead they took the time to stop by and say hello. When they asked how I was doing, I felt like they really cared.

Because I've never attended another university I can't say for certain that ONU faculty are better than the faculty at other schools, but I certainly feel like they are special. I'm so glad I go to a school where I am a name and not a number. It is a blessing to know that I have professors, bosses and many other ONU acquaintances rooting for my success during and after my time here at Northern.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had some great experiences. That is one of my favorite parts about Ohio Northern. I frequently hear people say they are not just a number, and I completely agree with that. Professors and other faculty members get to know you by name and it's a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a post last week about this! I am so happy to be at ONU where professors know you by name, and actually care about how you are doing in a class! They don't just want you to do well in school, they care about your life! It is so comforting knowing that I have professors that care about my education!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with everything you've said in this blog! I work in admissions and I feel like 1) I can never fully express how great faculty at Northern is and 2) people think I'm exaggerating...but really I'm not! It's great having those spur of the moment conversations with faculty. Really shows how much they truly care for their students. We are definitely lucky to attend a university with such great faculty members!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely true of Northern and not other universities. I have friends that go to OSU and Ball State and some of them don't even know what office hours are. I didn't understand why they were confused until I realized that they could not go to class for a month and their teacher would never know, but luckily I go to ONU and all of my professors know who I am. I have had similar encounters with faculty where I end up talking with them for over an hour just chatting about life, school, and my relationship. They all care what's going on in my life and some even take time after breaks to see what everyone did and then share their own stories. We are definitely special to have been chosen to be a part of this outstanding campus. I'm glad that your birthday was beyond compare and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming from a big school (Miami) my freshman year and now being at ONU it truly isn't the same. I had a talk with a professor who hasn't had me in class for two years but you would have thought that I was going to see him in class later that day. We are truly blessed to have faculty that are always there for us and know us not by name but the activities we are in as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is my favorite part about ONU. People know my name and I'm not just another student. I think you get what you pay for at Ohio Northern. A high quality education and faculty members who care and are invested in your future.

    ReplyDelete